5 INDULGENCES TO HELP YOU LIVE LONGER.
I recently read an article in AARP that was a list of 50 ways to live longer. In a world where we are told we have to give up things to live longer, I thought it would be nice to mention some indulgences that are actually good for you.
1. Drink that extra cup of coffee without feeling guilty. Coffee reduces your risk of stroke, diabetes and some cancers. In a 2015 study published in the journal, Circulation, Harvard researchers discovered that people who drank three to five cups of coffee per day had about a 15% lower of premature mortality compared to people who don’t drink coffee.
2. Get spicy! If you like hot and spicy foods here is some good news. Eating hot chili peppers may add years to your life. Even a little bit of spice will help reduce your risk of dying by 13%.
3. Eat Nuts! In a European study of adults ages 55 to 69, those who ate 10 grams of nuts daily, preferably 8 almonds or 6 cashews, reduced their risk of death from any health related causes by 23%. Consuming a handful of nuts at least 5 times per week lowers the mortality risk for heart disease by 29%, respitory disease by 24% and cancer by 11%. Just a note, peanut butter does not offer the same benefits.
4. Go on Vacation. Don’t feel guilty about taking time off. A study showed that those who failed to take a vacation annually were 32% more likely to die of a heart attack.
5. Sleep as long as you want. Sleeping less than six hours a night nearly doubles your risk of heart attack and stroke, according to the review of 15 studies published in the European Heart Journal. Sleep deprived people were 12% more likely to die over those who got 6-8 hours per night.